Tuesday, April 17, 2012

WFP Executive Director Writes To Mansabanko



Ertharin Cousin
Executive Director
World Food Programme
Having served as the United States Ambassador to the UN Agencies for Food and Agriculture since 2009, I have watched WFP become an increasingly innovative agency. This has enabled us to not only reach more of the world’s hungry but also to cultivate an ever-growing community of supporters such as you dedicated to giving a hand up to families and communities who need us the most. The full text of the letters reads...






"Mamadou Edrisa Njie -- 

"It is a distinct honour to write to you for the first time as Executive Director of the World Food Programme. 

"I’m a firm believer that our past paves the way for our future. Growing up in Chicago, my family and I saw poverty and hunger in our own community. Despite this, my parents strongly believed that situations should not limit opportunities. Through their support and sacrifice, they made sure that my sisters and I were empowered through education.

"This is exactly what WFP is making possible for millions of families around the world through school meals programmes. What a privilege it is for me to now be at the helm of this outstanding organization -- the largest humanitarian organization in the world. 


"Having served as the United States Ambassador to the UN Agencies for Food and Agriculture since 2009, I have watched WFP become an increasingly innovative agency. This has enabled us to not only reach more of the world’s hungry but also to cultivate an ever-growing community of supporters such as you dedicated to giving a hand up to families and communities who need us the most. 

"You should feel proud of the impact you have made in the fight against hunger. And I feel confident that together we will continue to increase our impact, reaching more and more of the world’s most vulnerable men, women, and children.

"I truly believe that hunger is our world’s greatest solvable problem. By working together, we can give more children the future they deserve and more communities the support they need to pull themselves out of the cycle of hunger.

"We have our work cut out for us, but I look forward to updating you from time to time on our progress."


Warmly yours, 

Ertharin Cousin
Executive Director
World Food Programme

No comments: